Battling Moisture Threats for Healthy Barndominiums
The expansive open architecture and abundant natural finishes that define beloved barndominium spaces also create prime conditions for excessive indoor moisture – an under-addressed menace with damaging implications. Left unchecked, moisture invites mildew, molds, material degradation and even respiratory risks among dwelling inhabitants.
Moisture Triggers and Intrusion Points
Several barndominium vulnerabilities channel unwanted dampness indoors. Major factors include:
– Difficulty sealing the expansive envelope against water infiltration along exposed walls and rafters
– Permeability of unprotected wood sheathing/beams absorbing environmental humidity
– Cool concrete slab temperatures causing water vapor condensation
– Leaky roof designs lacking integrated vapor barrier and insulation
If let penetrate interior air, this unwanted moisture condenses on cooler surfaces as droplets or accumulates in porous furniture/walls as musty dampness. Environmental health experts warn indoor humidity exceeding 55% risks mold blooms and wood rot triggering allergies or toxicity.
Preventative Measures and pro-active steps
Fortunately, proactive design and construction measures thwart moisture sources before causing unhealthy barndo conditions:
– Use spray foam insulation offering superior sealing and vapor control compared to batts
– Continuously seal all exterior wall and roof junctions with tape and caulk
– Incorporate passive ventilation skylights and vents drawing out moisture vapor
– Install proper roof overhangs shielding exterior walls and rain diversion systems
– Apply interior vapor retarders like housewraps under finishes
– Maintain indoor humidity between 30-50% using dehumidifiers
Catching issues early also prevents compound destruction. Routinely inspect for plumbing leaks, sweating pipes, staining around windows, and musty odors. Promptly resolve identified trouble spots before necessitating mold remediation or replacements.
Barndo Beware: Don’t invite damaging moisture into your new Barndo.
In summary, unchecked moisture threatens even stunning barndominium interiors risking deterioration and unsafe air quality. But a stitch in time through vigilant sealing, ventilation and monitoring saves this uniquely textured lifestyle loved by many. Simply respect moisture’s wily threats despite rustic wrappings – Then enjoy barndo living safely long into the future.